November 10, 2017 — hsuliyang
Essay Contest Winners
The Post-Antibiotic World Essay Contest jointly organized by the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health and Ngee Ann Polytechnic took place between 1st June and 30th August 2017.
This event was more hotly contested and there were more than 50 essays submitted from both Secondary and Junior College/Polytechnic students. We were very fortunate to have 3 prominent judges who kindly volunteered their time to review the students’ work:
- Mr Alvin Pang: Poet, editor, author: published internationally in over 20 languages.
- Mr Tan Dan Feng: who has worked in fields of language and publishing for 25 years and is the founder of The Select Centre, a literary arts organisation.
- Dr Lau Quek Choon: Senior Manager at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, who has interests in good and bad bacteria.
The winners of the contest are listed below. Their very impressive work will be posted up separately.
- First Prize: Chan Ger Hui (Dunman High School) – “A Post-Antibiotic World”
- Second Prize: Suhaina Yasmin (Tanjong Katong Girls School) – “The War Between Man and Mutant”
- Merit Prize: Asher Yeo Qiheng (Dunman High School) – “Post-Antibiotic World Poem”
- Merit Prize: Julianne Jessica Talens Leow (Tanjong Katong Girls School) – “Antibiotic Resistance, Paralysis, and Stewardship: The Walking Ecosphere’s Destiny”
- First Prize: Fong Khi Yung (Raffles Institution) – “More by the microscopic than the colossal”
- Second Prize: Brian Tan (Hwa Chong Institution) – “Blood”
- Merit Prize: Aaron Chua Cher Jin (Raffles Institution) – “2023”
- Merit Prize: Quek Sze Yang (Ngee Ann Polytechnic) – “Post-Antibiotic World: The Antibiotic Apocalypse”
[…] a stroke of coincidence, three out of four of the winners of the Secondary School section of the Essay Contest came to collect their prizes yesterday at almost the same […]
[…] Other than age categories and the themes, the event is flexible in that any type of “essay” submission is welcome – several budding poets won prizes last year. […]